Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Project: increasing your wardrobe

You may have noticed that I have been posting a lot of sewing projects lately.


There are a few reasons for this:

1. I often see clothing I like and would like to wear, but that I refuse to buy because of the price or the simplicity of the design.  If it looks simple to make, it probably is, and I would hate to think I took the easy way out.  I’m weird like that.

2. I can finally do something about it because I have recently (and a little late, I know) discovered the wonder of the YouTube how-to video library!  There are so many videos out there that teach you how to make your own clothing, and most of it is so much easier than I knew.  For instance, I made this dress yesterday:


003


I didn’t have a pattern, but instead created the design by tracing the shape of a dress that I bought some time ago and that fits me well.  And the idea for that technique came from this video:


see how she traced the tank top?

For the waist band of the dress I used a technique called “shirring,” which I learned by watching this video from Threadbanger.com:


shirring!

And I also added hidden pockets, as illustrated in this recycled t-shirt video!


I bet it’s super comfy.

It’s as if a whole new world has opened up to me!  I am going to need more closet space…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...