Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Tribute my Mothers

mothers day vintage card

I have many things to thank my mother and grandmother for, too many to list here.  But one thing I can never thank them enough for is the crafting tradition passed down to me through generations.

My grandmother let me rummage through her closets when I was a little kid, and that’s where I found her aunts old stash of crafting supplies.  With all that stuff my grandmother taught me plastic canvas work, counted cross stitch (which I loved), and embroidery (which I didn’t take to as well).  In later years I discovered a talent for knitting and crochet, and so now my grandmother says I must be the reincarnation of her grandmother, who made this hand crocheted quilt -

131

My grandmother has always been a very crafty lady; she made both her daughters’ wedding dresses, their Mardi Gras ball gowns, and many more items of clothing over the years.  She also tried her had at ceramics.  She made this set of mugs and shakers for my mom when she got married, among many other things.  And later on in life she took up quilting.

141142

My mother taught me how to read a sewing pattern, bought me my first sewing machine when I was a kid, let me use her sewing machine after I broke that first one, and she has been a general source of encouragement with every crafty venture I take.  Of course she is also a crafter herself; as a kid I had two ceramic figurines of Charlie Brown and Snoopy that my mother had made when she was a teenager.  She also made many a Halloween and Mardi Gras costume for myself and my brother.

I wouldn’t be where I am without them, and I can’t say thank you enough for the gifts they have given me.  Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...