Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Remembering “Make Mine Music”

Remember back in the day, say fifteen years ago or so, when the Disney Channel’s line up consisted of more than amorphous preteens singing and going to school in completely unrealistic settings?  Back when they would show old Disney films from the 50’s and 60’s, and all those wonderful old animated features?  I miss that.

I especially miss Make Mine Music.


It should come as no surprise that my taste in music, like my taste in pretty much everything else, is rather old fashioned.  I couldn’t tell you who today’s most popular recording artist are, but I’ll school you all day on jazz, swing, bluegrass, or folk.  And when I look back and think about where this musical love started, I would have to say Disney’s Make Mine Music was a big part of it.  It is a series of animated shorts, done in that classic hand drawn, distinctly Disney style, set to music by The Andrew Sisters and Benny Goodman and His Orchestra, as well as many other popular artist of their day.

This one was my favorite…
The Andrew Sisters sing about love…and hats.


…but they were all wonderful!
Benny Goodman and his Orchestra!

The Kings Men sing a blue grass ballad

I’m glad I could find these on YouTube, because that means they aren’t entirely lost to this next generation.   The kids need culture, lest they all end up reality TV “stars.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...